How We Work
Questions to Ask Yourself About Legal Representation; How Colson-Quinn Works
- Does your lawyer talk about actions and contract provisions that will save you money?
Colson-Quinn provides a timetable, an itemized budget, and a questionnaire to its clients, all designed to use your money effectively on legal services. And with half a century of combined experience, including litigating more than 40 business law suits, Colson-Quinn focuses on clear, concise contracts that spell out deliverables, caps, and balanced default and performance provisions.
- Does your counsel provide customer service oriented legal bills? Colson-Quinn 's actions and billing focus on getting higher value legal product to our customers. Because we are efficient, we don’t work unwarranted hours, and don’t pass through typical internal overhead charges (such as long distance, copying, postage and local travel) our bills are fair and reasonable. We don't use a leveraged partner associate hierarchy to add fees. We stand behind our work.
- Does your attorney mention one of the most important contractual protections you should have?
Colson-Quinn believes contracts should contain a mediation provision. Mediation, a voluntary nonbinding process where parties meet with a third party neutral, is one of the most effective ways to avoid costly litigation and preserve customer and vendor relationships.
- Does your attorney ask about your business objectives and budget as opposed to looking for ways to maximize billable hours?
Colson-Quinn uses a questionnaire to determine your priorities and budget. We are open to any creative billing arrangement that is fair. Unlike most law firms, Colson-Quinn does not have high overhead or mandatory billable hour requirements that result in inflated legal bills.
- Is there a clear understanding of what work is to be done?
Colson-Quinn prepares an initial analysis of what legal needs exist, an itemized estimate for each task, a prioritization of those tasks and asks you to determine what you want done. Your work is done only by senior counsel who have your business goals and budget in mind.
- Do you have a timetable regarding work to be done?
Colson-Quinn provides a timetable to each new client. Thereafter, with each matter, we (a) ask when you need the work, (b) advise what documents or actions you need to take, and (c) deliver in a timely fashion.
- Does your attorney offer to provide you with free estimates for all legal work, not just initial work?
Colson-Quinn offers free estimates for any legal work requested. Many business people are afraid to call their attorneys because of the cost of the phone call. We’re also happy to provide free referrals to our strategic partners for other business services you may need.